The palace has been built, between 1857 and 1859 as a part of King Mindon's heritage of this new imperial capital town of Mandalay. The design of Mandalay Palace mostly follows the classic Burmese palace layout, within a walled fort surrounded by a moat. The palace itself is in the center of this citadel and faces west. All buildings of the palace are of a single storey in height. The amount of spires over a construction signaled the value of the region below.
Mandalay Palace has been the key royal home of King Mindon and King Thibaw, the previous two kings of the nation. Through the British Victorian age , the palace has been viewed by the Burmese as the key emblem sovereignty and individuality. A lot of the palace compound has been ruined during World War II by allied bombing; just the royal mint and the watch tower lived. A replica of this palace was rebuilt in the 1990s with a few contemporary materials.
Now, Mandalay Palace is a main sign of Mandalay and also a significant tourist destination.
Glass Palace is the biggest and considered among the most gorgeous flats of the Palace. It's thought to be King Mindon's main living area of the palace. Like all of the Throne rooms, it's divided by a wooden partition to two chambers.
From the east area is that the Bee Throne (Bhamarasana), so called as it had been adorned with amounts of bees at the tiny markets at the base of the pedestal. This is where the service for its nomination of the Chief Queen and the Royal nuptial were also held. It was where the queen and king celebrated that the Burmese New Year, also where the proper ear piercing of young princesses happened. The entire body of King Mindon was set out in this area for seeing after his death in 1878.
The west area, which was divided into many smaller ones, was the primary living area of London, and no additional persons were permitted to sleep except that the four main queens, to all whom had been appointed a space close to the royal bed-chamber, that consisted of a little area surmounted by a pyatthat, or little spire comprising seven superposed roofs much like the Golden Spire within the Lion Throne Room on the throw of this Palace. On every side of the spired-room were always kept open two white umbrellas. The ladies-in-waiting of the Glass Palace were, by turns, stationed round the west area to pause upon. Their Majesties; they, if princesses or small queens, were not permitted to enter the chamber with lace or using their gold umbrellas: they needed to leave these in the entry with their attendants.
At the time of King Thibaw, Queen Supayalat needed a little room to herself within the west room of this Hmannan.